Balance Your Heating System
One of our most common service calls is for rooms that are “too hot” or “too cold”. If you have this problem, you’re probably wasting energy. If you’re willing to spend some time, balancing can get your heating system just right. Here’s how:
- Open the dampers in the duct system and all the registers in each room.
- Set your thermostat to the level you like.
- Place a thermometer near the middle of each room at table height.
- Check the thermometers during the day.
- For the rooms that are too warm, partially close the duct system damper supplying those rooms.
- If only one room is too warm, partially close the register(s) in that room.
- Take more readings until you’re satisfied with your system’s balance.
- Mark the damper or registers so you’ll know this setting in the future.
You’ve just increased your comfort, balanced your heating system and maybe lowered your utility bills! If this sounds too troublesome, we’d be glad to help. We’ve got measuring devices for accuracy and speed.
Is Your Heater Trying to Tell You Something?
Your home comfort system may be asking for a little time and attention. Your home’s temperature and your utility bill are among the ways it communicates its needs.
Besides replacing your system, you could also see improved energy efficiency by increasing house insulation and air-tightness, repairing or insulating ductwork or tuning up your system. If your furnace is over 10 years old and you are experiencing discomfort or high utility bills, you’ll want to get your system evaluated by a professional. Call us, we can help.